Firstly you will made partner based on your past success with the expectation that you will make a significant contribution to the partnership in the future. Here are some of the areas where you might make a contribution:
- Once you are a partner, you will cease to be an employee and will be a representative of the firm. This is a subtle but important distinction, and you will be expected to represent the firm in public.
- Generally, you need to step into leadership and exert your authority in a positive manner.
- You will need to be an expert in your subject area.
- You will be expected to manage your team and develop your staff to fulfill the firm’s financial and staff retention goals.
- You will also need to abide by and implement the firm’s policies and procedures.
- You will find it helpful if you understand the running of a law firm and the business of law.
- You may also make a contribution to the management of the law firm by being involved in specialist committees or professional development.
What do you see as the challenges of partnership?