If you are a woman lawyer who holds a leadership position or who aspires to be a leader I have designed a program for you. The Program offers
- Small group sessions and one on one coaching, all online.
- The knowledge, skills, behaviours and confidence you need to take your rightful place in the profession.
- Research based content plus the benefit of my 25+ years experience in the legal industry.
- Only 15 registrants accepted.
- Great value – with special introductory offer
STEPPING INTO LEADERSHIP
A Practical Guide for Women Lawyers
If you are a woman lawyer who holds a leadership position or who aspires to be a leader in your firm, organisation, or profession, I have designed this program for you.
I understand that women in the profession still face particular challenges, and that there remains a difference in how women are recognised, paid and promoted. This program will arm you with the knowledge, skills, and attitude you need to take your rightful place in the legal profession.The content of this program has been developed to provide participants with concrete strategies that can easily be put into practice.
I want you to step into your leadership role undaunted, and with a sense of adventure.
The program will:
- Give you the confidence to create the career you want;
- Provide you with guidance in developing your own unique sense of self;
- Analyse the most important behaviours of successful leaders;
- Help you build a pathway for developing a leadership identity;
- Assist you to develop a networking plan;
- Provide you with proven strategies to overcome the effect of gender bias;
- Suggest strategies for winning promotion and recognition.
The entire program is online and is designed to include:
- Three small group sessions of 90 minutes each, during which you will have the opportunity to learn from each other;
- Three 1:1 coaching sessions of 60 minutes each, specifically designed to focus on your personal needs;
- A workbook detailing all the exercises to be undertaken during the course of the program
- You will need to do some preparation work prior to each of the sessions.
The program is limited to 15 participants.
Module One: Let’s Get Started! (One-on-one session: 60 – 90 minutes)
This session focuses on individual aims for the program. During this session, I challenge each participant to commit to the program. I will ask you to articulate your career objectives and what you want to achieve in our time together. This will include a discussion of:
- Career History
- Coaching Goals
- Getting the Most Out of the Program
The first step in successful leadership is knowing yourself. During this session, you will:
- Identify your values and strengths and reflect on the role they play in your success and how you operate
- Assess the skills that have brought you to where you are today, and reflect on the skills you need to build to go forward
- Examine the various roles you currently play (eg. employee, mentor, partner, family member etc. ) and how each contributes to your sense of identity
- Consider your larger purpose and how it impacts upon your career choices
Module Two : Becoming an Exemplary Leader (Group session: 90 minutes)
In this session, we will analyse the characteristic behaviours of outstanding leaders and discuss how you can implement these in the workplace. You will reflect on your leadership mindset and
the steps you need to implement in order to achieve your goals and communicate confident leadership.
In particular, we will focus on the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership, which include:
- Model the Way
- Inspire a Shared Vision
- Challenge the Process
- Enable Others to Act
- Encourage the Heart
The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership are the result of long term research based on discovering what people do daily to rally their people and inspire them to work toward a common future. The research conducted by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner provides a simple and clear set of leadership competencies.
Module Three: Leadership Identity (One-on-one Session: 60 minutes)
Leadership competencies are not enough. During this session, we will consider how to develop your Leadership Identity. This will include a discussion of how to re-imagine yourself as a leader and incorporate subjects such as:
- Developing your Brand
- Leadership Behaviours
- Building an Action Plan
- Building Confidence
Module Four: Networking (Group session: 90 minutes)
Networking has been identified as one of the areas where women miss opportunities. Too many people associate networking with soulless events or acting in a way that does not feel natural or authentic. It doesn’t have to be this way. During this session, you will conduct a network audit and develop a revised networking plan to support your career direction. This will include:
- Assessing the breadth, connectivity, and dynamism of your current network
- Identifying current contacts
- Learning how to build your own professional community.
Module Five: Winning the Leadership Roles (Group session: 90 minutes)
This session focuses on how to win promotion, how to negotiate for what you want, and how to gain the reward, recognition and respect you warrant.
So many women say that they don’t want to “play politics”, but getting the top jobs requires an awareness of things other than your technical role. You need to be able to identify what the firm or organisation values, know how to influence decision makers and be able to negotiate in an environment that may exhibit outdated ideas of gender.
This session will include a discussion based on case studies provided by women in law. Our discussion topics will include:
- Common Pitfalls
- Negotiation Preparation
- Case Studies
Module Six: Evaluate & Celebrate! (One-on-one session: 60 minutes)
During this session, you will reflect on the learnings from the program and finalise plans while setting yourself realistic and achievable goals. You will also congratulate yourself on committing to your career and taking the time and energy to invest in yourself.
Module 1: One-on-one coaching session between 16-21 September 2021
Module 2: Group coaching session on Wednesday 22 September 9.00am-10.30am AEST
Module 3: One-on-one coaching session between 23-28 September 2021
Module 4: Group coaching session on Wednesday 29 September 2021 9.00am-10.30am AEST
Module 5: Group coaching session on Wednesday 6 October 2021 9.00am-10.30am AEST
Module 6: One-on-one coaching session between 7-12 October 2021.
The Course Designer and Presenter
I have designed this program based on the best research available and my extensive experience in various leadership roles in law, including initiating the specialist accreditation program in NSW. This was an especially innovative program in its approach to assessing the legal and leadership skills of lawyers. I have also led a law firm through a period of accelerated growth and developed many professional development programs for lawyers. Now, my own personal goal is to contribute my experiences to assist other women lawyers gain the confidence and skills they need to have a career – and a life – worth living.
Program Structure: “Taking Gender into Account: Theory and Design for Women’s Leadership Development Programs” Robin J. Ely, Herminia Ibarra, Deborah Kolb.
Leadership Competencies: “A Coach’s Guide to Developing Exemplary Leaders” James M.Kouzes, Barry Z Posner with Elaine Biech
Values Table: “Breakthrough” David Carter
Networking: “How to Revive a Tired Network” Herminia Ibarra
Negotiation: “The Shadow Negotiation” Deborah M. Kolb, Judith Williams.
As this is the first time this course has been offered, I’m offering an introductory price of $575 per person.
There will be no more than 15 registrants.